Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

McDonald Hangover

Late last night, I had a craving for Micky D's.



It was great.  I haven't had one for a while.

This morning I felt like crap.

The last time I felt like this, it was back in 2007 when I was training for Ironman.  I was eating extremely healthy.  No fast food, no sugar, no junk food, no fried foods, nil on salt and sauce.....

Went to Burger King after Prayer meeting with my youth pastor.  The next morning, the body screamed, 'what are you feeding me!'

I have been reading a book on sins and the nature of sinning (addiction, p0rn etc.).  The author does a great job putting sinful desires in their place.  They feel good but only for a short time.  Then guilt and shame will take over.  (Just like how Adam feels ashame and hide from God after eating the forbidden fruit).  Then there's a desire to get a quick fix again.  And more shame. 

This vicious cycle traps the person instead of liberating them from it.

Sinful desires are hollow. False promises that never deliver.  

There is one section of the book where the author discusses the reason why we sin during temptation is because at that moment we see the temptation is more joyful and enjoyable than God. 

That's a lie.  

Will probably elaborate more on this in the future.

The Hope is that, in Christ we have the freedom and the strength to overcome our desires.  Even at times when they are maddening and over bearing.   Jesus is the perfect priest, tempted in every way, and sacrifice on the cross once and for all.  

In Him, we are more precious in God's eyes as we are a new creation.  No matter how dirty and shameful we think we are.  In His Eyes, through Christ, we are clean as snow.

Fast food, like sin, has its quick fix.  The only catch is that it is a hollow promise and makes me feel like crap afterwards.

Real food, like the gospel, might not seem as attractive nor appealing in the beginning.  But the more I consume, the more I realize how beneficial it is for my body.

[Note: I ain't implying consuming fast food = sin.  It is just an analogy.  I still love my Popeyes :D]

No comments: