Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Repost: Words on Short Term Mission

This is by far one of the best posts I've read regarding short term mission.

In short, short term mission is not a tourist trip.  It is a key leading to long term mission.  Though it might seen there is big expectation, I think it is important for us to wrap our head about missions and the implications of every Christians.


Going into Cambodia, I can feel myself being difficult in their culture. I have to learn (and relearn) how to listen and how to learn.  I need to be a follower.

They should not criticize the local culture--their language, food and the way they do things. 
They should not assume that they know more than the people on the field just because the have more education and training. 
They should not criticize the local culture--their language, food and the way they do things.
...short-term missionaries need to realize that God may be calling them to long-term missionary service.  While more and more people are going on short-term missionary trips, fewer and fewer individuals seem to be accepting the call to enter into career missionary work. 
I highlight the last point because speaking with one of the pastors in Cambodia, he said going to Cambodia for two-three weeks are not a kiss of fun.  If you want to make long lasting impact, you need to live with the people.  For years.  Two weeks, for what it's worth (and it can be very useful) is not enough. Even Jesus spent three years on earth doing ministries. People need to see you live with them in order to be accepted.

One of the things I enjoyed in Cambodia are the people.  They are very friendly.

And I also miss fish amok (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amok_trey)

No comments: