Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Mission Trip Open Letter

Just finish preparing all the info package for the mission trip I will be leading in August (Toronto City Mission's St James Town Sonshine Day Camp).

As I pour over the info, the plan, the logistics, I cannot help but to feel overwhelm.  There is simply so much info and so much to consider.  I tend to be selfish in that I rather do it myself because it is much easier.  I don't have to worry if someone is going to get lost and tell them how much to budget.  I can always adapt and think on the fly (I plan very loosely and just act accordingly).  This is not a solo expedition.  The goal is not just to run the day camp.  It is to open the eyes and the heart of my congregation so that they have a desire for God's mission...at the very least they will have a clear understanding of what is God's mission (redeem the world..redeem the lost etc.)

I am also feeling joyful.  The fact that I am leading a team for the first time. I already spoke with a few church groups doing mission work there and very excited to hear a few reply.  Since I am leading, I get to choose and pick what we will be doing.  To hear a number of people interested in this makes me feel excited.  I thought I was the only one :)))

This is the opening letter with attachment to the info package I will be giving to a few interested in the mission tomorrow.


Dear recipient,


Though I wasn't on the mission trip to St James Town last year, I had the privilege of joining them in a prayer walk in the city of Toronto. It was also the first time I visited St James Town. Upon research, it is heart breaking to see this is one of the poorest neighborhoods in Toronto. I tend to think that poverty is often not in my reach. I later realize that this neighborhood is not too far from where I use to go for school, Ryerson University.


The second commandment given by Jesus is that we should love our neighbor as ourselves. Jesus define neighbor as anyone and anybody who needs our help. It is with this calling in my heart that I decided to lead this year's trip to St James Town. We will be partnering with Toronto City Missions and help organize Sonshine Day Camp. The kids range from 6 to 12 years old. Our task will be providing and supervising activities such as crafts, sports, singing, drama and Bible based stories. The camp will last for four days from August 16 to 19.


In the evening, weather permitting, we will be conducting prayer walk in Toronto and explore the city. The goal is to allow the Holy Spirit to open our eyes and our hearts to see our neighbors. We also pray for God to continue to work mightily in the city to save the lost.


As Christians, Jesus called us to share the gospel to Jerusalem, to Samaria and to the ends of the world (Acts 1:3). St James Town might not be the end of the world but it is an area in need of Christ. The English Congregation and the Fluid ministry from MCAC, will work together to share Christ to children so that they will hear Jesus and have their hope on Him as they live among poverty, domestic abuses, homelessness and other social issues.


If you are interested, please provide the following:
- review the Volunteer Information Package
- Pray and seek the Holy Spirit for guidance
- Return the Application Form with references by June 27th (Sun)
- Attend the Orientation (It will be on a weeknight. Tentative in July and early August)


Note: If you are under 18, please speak with your parents and have their approval before filling the form. If needed, I am also available to speak to them in person.


In Christ,
Cliff Tam

No comments: