Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Go

The following video is from Jackie Pullinger. She was a missionary that gone to Hong Kong to help the poor and the drug addict.



This is taken from Wiki about Jackie:

At the age of 20 Pullinger graduated from the Royal College of Music having specialized in the oboe. She wanted to be a missionary, so she wrote to various missionary organizations. At first she wanted to go to Africa, but then she had a dream that impressed upon her the idea of going to Hong Kong. Unable to find support from missionary organizations, she sought advice from Richard Thompson, a minister in Shoreditch, who told her that she should buy a ticket for a boat going as far as she could get and to pray to know when to get off the boat. She followed his advice and went to Hong Kong by boat in 1966. However, when she arrived she knew no one there and had only HK$100 on hand. The only reason the immigration officers allowed her in was because her mother's godson was a police officer there. She found work as a primary school teacher in the Kowloon Walled City, which in the 1960s was not policed and consequently had become one of the world's largest opium producing centres ran by Chinese criminal Triad gangs. She established a youth club to help drug addicts and street sleepers.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer once said....

When Jesus bids a man come and follow him he bids him come and die.

I desire no normal Christian life. I desire be call a Christian not b/c I go to events or church on Sunday. I hope I just don't watch this video, then just feel sad and sit around. Because if I do, it is really a waste of time (for the lack of better words!).

I desire to be a Christian because I was called by a Lord and Saviour. I desire to go because I am privilege to be considered worthy of His service. For I once was lost, and now I am found.

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.
Matthew 13:45-46

No comments: