Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Proverbs, Daily Bread

Three verses (Proverbs 30:7-9) I meditated lately:

7 "Two things I ask of you, O LORD;
do not refuse me before I die:

8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.

9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.

....

Only, no more, no less. Dependence is wholly on God. Not on mammon or self. When I am too rich, I tend to forget about God. When I am too poor, I am tempted to sin by stealing.

....

Jesus used a similar verse when He told us how to pray (Matthew 6:9-13):

9"This, then, is how you should pray:
" 'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
11Give us today our daily bread.
12Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.

No comments: