Pages

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Conversations...

A conversation between a friend and I....the topic started off with dancing and some how it become what it means to be a Christian....

Friend:
I absolutely agree with you that God and those closest to him help others regardless of whether they are believers or not. That was something that really hit home to me when I was still searching.

It just always strikes me as odd when I come across Christians who proudly proclaim that they have as little to do with the secular world as they can, who try to build themselves a Christian-only world. That isn't right.

It's the light on a hill thing. You don't cover it up. You let it shine by reaching out into the places where that light is needed.

I'm not saying that all of Christendom goes about spreading the Good News the wrong way. I guess it works. I just think that there is a time and place for words - speaking clearly about Jesus to those who want to hear - but that time comes after actually doing something tangible.

I just think back to where I once was, and anyone who came up and immediately started talking about Jesus and my need for salvation, etc etc, I tuned them out as crazy fanatics. But a gentle example of character and compassion makes a bigger difference. It gets real attention rather than defensiveness.

I guess it's always been the element of helping others that has appealed to me most about Jesus. He helped others - in physical and spiritual ways. Call me simple, but the physical still moves me more. I just accept the spiritual gift kind of like a nice crystal collectible - I know it's valuable, I'm grateful for it, but I don't know what to do with it other than put it on my table. But physical... The Lord gives me great gifts in terms of abilities or resources (hey, sometimes they're modest and maybe less than other peoples', but I still think they're great!) and I can actually *use* them to help others!

Well, I guess it's a matter of just trusting God to place us where we're most useful. He takes time to get us ready - maybe sometimes because we slow down the process with our stubbornness and rebelliousness - and then in time He places us where we can do the most good.

Me:

interesting how this convo started with dancing to spiritual stuff..

i think there is no such thing diff between physical and spiritual realm...the way i see it..physical is spiritual. When a nation is not spiritual strong...they will fall into sinful ways..as such physically the nation falls apart.

for example...Haiti and Dominican Republic are on one island...however, a lot of people who gone there describe how once a person step into Haiti, the enviornment changes. There is lack of tree growth and so on....partly Haiti is a nation that worhsip voodoo. That leads to evil spirits and thus lead to the poverty of a physical nation.

I am w/ you when someone is pure in Christ....their action (gentleness, meekness, compassion) flows through (physically).

And I am also w/ you w/ just talking about it doesn't do anything....

lately i have been frustrated about life...i was looking at my life..i work 9-5..go to church.then weekend go have fun and it just repeat this cycle..is this what Jesus command us to do? I wonder where's my part in helping the needy?

Do you know what scares me....on one hand i can see there is no needy ppl (like street ppl) in my church..but we all know they are out there who need help...so what's my part..do nothing? Like an ostrich w/ its head in the sand?

That's not what Jesus calls His disciples to become.that's not transformation...i mean...i don't have to be a believer and still do what i just do..the only exception is not going to church.

And i am a bit frustrated mainly of myself b/c i keep saying i need to be more of a discipler of Christ.and here i am ..not doing a thing about it..

And I am sad...b/c i am convicted that a Christian life is more than that..there is a transformation of life....and i question what about my life....

And I believe Soverignity of God that He is all powerful and life is change like the diff between day and night. And that's the Power I believe in and have faith in.

And you know what' i am sad about....i don't see too ppl having the same passion..i don't feel i can share this w/ other brothers or sisters in Christ without them giving me a....'that's odd...' or 'u done alot already ' or 'do u have the time'.

when i look at my life.....i know it ain't about busy-ness or whether I have time or about that..that ain't the point....the point is being who Jesus call us to be...and willing to give up everything and follow that...

that's faith and obedience..

So here i am....i am waiting for my marathon to finish. I am glad u are helping out the soup ktichen..i have a workshop that night..if not i will join u.....

U know..Jesus say...deny yourself and follow me....if Jesus say..believe me and i will give you everything you want..doesn't sound like any other self help guru marketing ploy out there??...i rather put on my blinder, give up everything that the world can offer.and have faith that God will provide...i mean He has provided me this far already (liver transplant..hello?)...I don't think He needs to proof anymore..

No comments: