Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Take the first step: asking for forgiveness

In my meditation upon the book of Habakkuk a few nights ago, the LORD has impressed me to go make peace with brothers and sisters who I have wronged them.

With the things I experienced through in the past few days...I am reminded by what Jesus call us to do...love your God and love your neighbor as yourself. Forgive and if you wrong someone, take the first step, be the peacekeeper, and ask for forgiveness.

How important is that?

This is what Jesus has to say...

23"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift. (Matthew 5:23-24)

When my ego was among me, I use to think I don't have to do that. I did nothing wrong. I am right (oh the three words that display my self righteousness!)

He started it. It is his fault. I know I am holding a grudge. I twisted it and consider it a holy grudge. To be honest, in a sick way, I enjoy the grudge. The combination of I am right and angry is a dangerous toxin. It sucks me in and twist what's dark into light and light into dark.

How can I love God if I harbor ill feelings toward my brother and sister? If I am in the latter, I do not love God at all!

I look at Jesus as the prime example. He came down on earth to reconcile men back to God. His ministry is a ministry of reconciliation.

I know it in the head. And now with the conviction of the Holy Spirit I need to live it. And so I go. To ask for forgiveness from those who I have wronged.

Just as Zaccheus commented after having a meal with Jesus , "and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount." (Luke 19)

I thank my Lord for revealing my iniquities. I need to stop going before the altar and make peace with my neighbors first. And this is all from Jesus, who despite all our sins and wrong doings, died on the cross alone, so that we can be reconcile with God.

What Jesus said when He is dying on the cross...

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." (Luke 23:34)

If Jesus can forgive with His last breathe, as His follower, I will follow...willingly..

AMEN!

No comments: