Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Risk Factor


I am currently attending a course called Project Timothy.  This is a course for OMF members.  The course focuses on God's calling, our own experiences with God and how He shapes our characters.

One of the activities is creating a Timeline.  It is a summary of how the Lord has shaped me.   As I sit and jot down all the critical events and those God moments, I slowly see a pattern of how He moves in my life.  I will share the Timeline in another post.

Today, the instructor showed the video of Wai Jia and me.  It is again a reminder of God's goodness in our lives.  As I saw the video, the verse, I will risk myself in you, spoke to me again.



After getting married, a number of single guys shared with me their struggle with relationships.  One of the patterns I see is that there's a hindrance in pursuing because it is risky.  What if the girl doesn't like me?  What if our friendship is broken?  How do I know she is the right one?

Love is very risky.  There's no guarantee.  No one can tell you what's gonna happen.  Perhaps it is meant to be this way. This is what it means to love.  To love without knowing the love will be returned.   To love not knowing you might get hurt in the process.

And then there's the Great Love.  The radical Jesus willing to risk His life to redeem those who do not love Him in return.

I love how Wai Jia shared in the video (11 min) asking is this how we determine who we 'love'.  Based on the probability that we love have to be perfect in every way. Is our decision based on a risk factor?

I wonder if we serve the Lord the same way.  Looking for the most comfortable and safest method to serve Him.  When we reflect of the love of the Father for us, it should make us take more risk, not less.  It should get us out of our comforts, instead of fortifying them.  It should make us take the risk to love in His name and to love those who do not deserve to be loved.  And this is risky too.  Because we will have to give up our lives.  Just as the Lord has given up His for us.



It is amazing to see someone like Peter, a fisherman.  After hauling probably one of the largest catch of his life, he just got up, leave everything and follow Him.  Peter didn't know where Jesus would take him.  But he just followed.  Even willing to follow and risked his life for Him.

Now that's love.

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” 
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.” 
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.” 
Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” 
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” 
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.” 
The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” 
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” 
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”
John 21:15-21 NIV 

No comments: