Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Love is...

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

I remembered I used these verses when I told someone I like to get into a relationship a long time ago.  Looking back, it was nothing but a fainting memory.  It no longer hurt as it was before.

It wasn't until recently that I realized Paul used this passage to describe the love among brothers and sisters in Christ in a church setting.

There are two ways to read this passage.  I can read this and critique others.

Oh someone doesn't very patient.  Clearly he is not lovable.  Why should I care about him?

Lately, I am trying to read it as an encouragement for my own actions and feelings. Especially those times when I am feeling not very lovingly....
I am losing my patience.  I am getting angry.  I don't want to keep going.  This is so hard.  Why should I have to love......I don't want to love. I am losing hope. This sucks.
Then I reflect on this passage....

Oh...though I don't feel like loving right now.  To love is to preserve.  Therefore, I can or learn to choose to be kind.  Choose to have patience.

There's a difference between aligning Scriptures to fit me instead of aligning myself to the Scriptures.  The former is self seeking.  The latter Glorifies God.

No comments: