Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Don't fight back: David and Saul

Something I always wonder, is how come David never touch Saul.

Time and time again Saul tries to kill David (1 Samuel 18-19, 1 Samuel 23).   Yet David never fought back. He had many times to kill Saul (1 Samuel 24, 1 Samuel 26)  Why not?  Samuel anointed David.  David knows he will be the king of Israel.  Saul is the king and he was rejected by the Lord (1 Sameul 15).  The Spirit already left Saul.

Yet, David never fought back.

I remember a while back we did a study on a Psalm written by David.  Where David wrote about his enemies.  If I look at how David treat Saul, I don't think David consider Saul as his enemies.

If Saul was my enemy, I would have kill him when I had the chance. I would be in joy when I hear he is dead. And I will make sure to finish off his family line to take vengeance on what he had done to me.

But what do we see....

  • David was in mourning on hearing the death of Saul. (2 Samuel 1:11)
  • He even wrote a lamentation for Saul and Jonanthan (2 Samuel 1:19-27)...
Look at 2 Samuel 1:24...

O daughters of Israel, 
       weep for Saul, 
       who clothed you in scarlet and finery, 
       who adorned your garments with ornaments of gold.
Weep for Saul? David is telling daughters of Israel to weep for a bad king?  For the one that pursuit him?
  • David killed the messenger who told him he killed Saul. (2 Samuel 1:14)
  • David took care of Saul's grandson. (2 Samuel 9)

David treated Saul like that because he was the anointed one.  Though David  was persecuted by Saul, he never fought back and never take advantage of the situation.

I think that's pretty crazy.  Despite all David gone through..he still considered Saul as the anointed one.  Don't fight back.  Because David was in revered and feared from the One who anointed Saul.

No comments: