Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Let us not our souls to one another

Yesterday during worship, we sing Give Us Clean Hands by Chris Tomlin.

Here is part of the lyric:

We bow our hearts
We bend our knees
Oh Spirit come make us humble
We turn our eyes
From evil things
Oh Lord we cast down our idols

Oh give us clean hands
and give us pure hearts
Let us not lift our souls to another
Oh God let this be
a generation that seeks
that seeks Your face, Oh God of Jacob

In Old Testaments, the idols were asherah poles and objects that man created to worship other gods.

I was listening to Beyonce's Single Ladies on the drive back home yesterday. There was one part of the song that caught my attention:

Your love is what I prefer, what I deserve
Is a man that makes me, then takes me
And delivers me to a destiny, to infinity and beyond
Pull me into your arms
Say I’m the one you WANT
If you don’t, you’ll be alone
And like a ghost I’ll be gone


..to a destiny, to infinity and beyond...from a Christian perspective, only God can do that. Not very tough to connect the dots, in a sense, the role of God is being replace by a man.

From my previous post, I quoted from Tim Keller's The Counterfeit gods that our heart is an idol generating machine. Looking at the modern culture where God is not place in the center, there is a need to place the vacuum role of God with other objects (or in this case, person).

Perhaps we should replace let us not lift our souls to another to let us not lift our souls to one another.

No comments: