Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Adversity reveals character

This is the title of my devotion tonight. It is base on Genesis 39:22-23:

“Before long, the jailer put Joseph in charge of all the other prisoners and over everything that happened in that prison. The chief jailer had no more worries after that, because Joseph took care of everything. The Lord was with him, making everything run smoothly and successfully.”

The devotion is focus on that Joseph has gone through trials after trials. Yet despite these adversities, we see the true character of Joseph. He stands firm and has full faith on God.

What I admire about Joseph is that he is not bitter about what God hands him. He was sold by his brothers as a slave. He was framed to sleep with Potiphar's wife. And despite that, he never ask God, 'why did you do this to me? This is unfair. What have I done to you?'

I once shared about my bitterness toward life with my fellowship. I can feel it flowing right underneath me. At times, it is as if I am born with this.

And when adversity comes. Minor situations, I can feel this bitterness coming over me. It is like a storm within me. I am torn and tired by this.

This is more so when dealing with family relationship. The urge to be bitter is enticing. To get even and to settle score and to judge is so attractive.

I guess this is a strong reminder about my own character. In the devotion, it says:

"the greater the adversity, the greater the responsibility it is for a Christian to demonstrate a complete reliance upon God for deliverance."

...how true. The reliance is on God..for relying on my own strength I will crumble like a deck of cards.

Perhaps these minor situations are not as minor. They are my adversity which I need to overcome through relying on God....

No comments: