Pages

Friday, February 29, 2008

Questions

Questions are dangerous. They are like a mirror. They might show you things what you don't like to see. And you are left with making a decision that will change the course of your life.

What does it mean to be a Christian?

If we break down the word, Christian, it means to be a follower of Christ. Then we have another question. Well what does it mean to follow Christ?

What does He do? And how I can follow Him?

What is the purpose of Jesus coming to earth? What is Jesus' ministry?

The answer lies in the Gospels. They document Jesus' every step and action.

I was sharing with a brother a few days ago. We were discussing the importance of outreach and evangelism. I said that it shouldn't be an importance. By stating that it is important to do something, it shows my heart that before I didn't think about it. I see this is a problem in my attitude and belief of being a Christian.

Outreach and evangelism should be as natural as breathing and drinking water. It would be silly to remind myself, 'Cliff, have you breathe today?' How is it that I have to remind myself that to spread the Gospel. It should be as natural as fish in the water. When we are filled with God's Grace, we can't help but to share the Good News.

Jesus doesn't think about outreach and evangelism is important. That's His purpose. Everything He does, it is outreach and evanglism. He eats, breathes, sleeps outreach and evangelism.

The great commission is clear.

Matthew 28:16-20:

16Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Look at Paul, one of Jesus' Disciples. Most of the books in New Testament are his epistles (letters). Paul, so filled with the Holy Spirit, if you cut him, he will bleed outreach and evangelism. Even reading His letters, I can see his passion for the Gospel.

1 Corinthians 9:19-23:

19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

I was reflecting the way I view about outreach and evangelism. There are times where it feels I have to switch to 'outreach' mode when I pray and or hang out with non-believers. It becomes very work-like. Gotta fill the quota.

It is very subtle in attitude and mindset. There is a big difference between praying for someone to be save just because we know this is what a Christian ought to do than praying for someone wholeheartedly because we hurt seeing someone being lost in the world without hope.

There are even scarier questions to consider. What if I truly have no heart for non-believers? What does that mean? What does it show about my faith? What kind of faith do I have?

These questions are like lifting up a rock and see all the bugs living underneath it. I can either do something about it or I can put the rock back down and let the bugs be.

Note: There are other discussion about how to spend time with non-believers and the amount to spend. Or how do you contact everyone? These are good questions. Important ones. However, I am not seeking those until the heart is in the right place. If the heart is not there to serve, nothing else really matter.

No comments: